Monday, May 22, 2017

Cat Calls and Kittens

May 15, 2017
Another great week in Salta!  Thank you so much for the constant prayers and support.  I know I say it a lot but I am truly so grateful.

More information about Salta:
·       Argentines take siesta hour (more like siesta hours) very seriously.  WE normally have our daily studies during siesta hour, but this week we couldn’t and no one would answer the door because they were all sleeping.  And they also don’t go to bed until like 1:00 AM – sounds like my kind of schedule.
·       You know how I said they give us a lot of food…I’M NOT KIDDING!  They serve huge lunches and then always have a delicious dessert to top it off.  I’ve got to start taking my exercise time more seriously.
·       Spanish update:  it’s getting better every day.  I can understand everything my companion says and about 40% of what the natives are saying.  But I know that I am receiving divine help every day.

CHISTOSOS:
·       Bought my first mug and I am HAPPY about it.
·       One lady we were teaching threatened to spray her dog with perfume because he wouldn’t leave us alone.
·       We were eating dinner with the Medina family and the oldest son ate 8 hot dogs…EIGHT!
·       There is a group of girls we have been teaching and we asked them if it was okay with their parents that they were talking to us and one girl said, “No, my mom said you steal children.”  Ummm no – we invite others to come unto Christ but close.
·       Saw a man carrying a dead pig on his back.  Probably ate that pig for lunch today.
·       Men here are crazy about blondes.  So many times they roll down their windows, whistle, and yell “Hermosas.”  Thank you!  This other person was riding a horse and asked “Can I give you a ride?”  Ummm, I’m a missionary but that was v. kind of you.  Do you want to know more about Jesus Christ?  So pretty much my 10 days here in Salta have consisted of cat calls and kittens and I wouldn’t change it for anything.

MILAGROS:
·       I had my first zone conference this week.  It was so nice to be united and re-motivated on how important the work of salvation is. 
·       The mission transition has not been easy.  I often feel anxious and overwhelmed and think about my family a lot.  But I know I am supposed to be here in Argentina so I asked an Elder for a priesthood blessing and it was just what I needed.  I know that the blessing came from my Heavenly Father and the Elder was just the mouthpiece.  Priesthood power is so real.
·       The Caceres family is a miracle in the mission field.  They live right below us if we ever need anything!  Plus they are always making food so I am super grateful for them.
·       We have a baptism this Saturday!  We have been teaching a 14 year-old boy named Matias and it is so cool to watch the gospel change his life.  So excited!
·       Holy cow!  I can’t believe that I graduated one year from today!  So many things have happened since then – memorable summer, first semester, and now I’m in Argentina!  This truly testifies that Heavenly Father has a plan for me.  Sometimes I act in blind faith wherever He leads me but overall, I know that Heavenly Father knows and loves His children.
·       Ahhh Mother’s Day was the best.  I got to skype with my family and it was just absolutely the best.  It was so nice to speak English but also to hear the voices of my family – the people I miss the most.  Now I feel super ready to work hard and dedicate myself to the salvation of God’s children.  Until Christmas <3
·       Favorite scripture of the week (mostly because now there is a chocolate stain on that page because I was doing my favorite thing – eating chocolate and reading my scriptures).  Anyways, my favorite scripture gets a shout out to Lizzy because she was so kind to remind me of this powerful scripture:

“My grace is sufficient for thee:  for my strength is made perfect in weakness.  Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.”  2 Corinthians 12:9

I am so happy to be here in Argentina and to be serving God’s children.  I am so grateful that I get to learn a new language and be humbled in the process.

Love you all!  Be happy!
Hermana Mannewitz



When members give us "candy" but it's gross so you casually hide it in your coat pocket
Bagged milk.  Trying to have a positive attitude but it looks like I'll be on a diet from milk for the next 16 months
Hermana Norman - did I mention I read her blog before I left so now I feel like I am meeting a famous person


 
So, so, so good to see Hermana Tolson
My very first self-timered zone picture
All of the newbies of the mission that are in our zone
Grido Helado is the best - way better than American ice cream!

Having arroz con leche as a snack - call me an Argentine

So excited to skype my fam that I broke open my bag of Cadbury eggs - the last ones for 16 months
Leaving this cute fam for 18 months so I can help others learn how they can be with their family for eternity


No comments:

Post a Comment