Monday, June 19, 2017

Amigas

Hola from Argentina!  Things are going great here!  We are eating a lot of food, working so hard and enjoying every minute of the mission.  Contrary to common belief, it is getting pretty cold in Argentina.  It’s not that bad, but since we are outside all day and no one has heaters, it is pretty chilly.  But we are happy and healthy.

CHISTOSO:
·       New high score!  I ate 9 empanadas in one sitting.  Stay tuned for updates.
·       We talked to a lady who looked sick and holding her stomach.  So we asked her if she was okay, and she told us she was 3 months pregnant.  I’ve never been pregnant before (obviously) so I totally respect pregnant ladies, but Hermana Norman and I agreed that our stomachs are bigger than hers every day after lunch.
·       One of our ex-investigators owns a calzone shop – so yes it was really hard to leave him out, but on his day off he made us a huge calzone and delivered it to us.  I never thought I would meet such a homie in Argentina.
·       Speaking of all the food we eat, Hermana Norman and I have made a diet plan (which includes only going to Grido once a week) to overcome all odds and not get fat this winter.
·       Chica:  “are y’all hermanas or amigas?”
Hermana Norman:  “Companions”
Me:  “Ouch!”  Thought we were friends LOL!
·       Martin, a 4 year-old crazy kid in our ward spit in my face at church.  Not kidding!  Spit all over me.  I thought only people who rejected us would spit on me.
·       Hermana Norman and I were, let’s say sick to the stomach this week and considered calling the elder who is in charge of our apartment to ask if we could move into an apartment with two bathrooms.  Haha I am having so much fun!

MILAGROS:
·       Last Sunday we went to the hospital to visit our investigator – Nelida.  She is the cute old lady that thinks I am a cat.  Poor thing lives in pain.  She has so many desires to go to church and be baptized but she has an open wound that won’t heal.  She has been in the hospital for the past few weeks and has been asking that we come visit.  It was truly humbling experience to visit her in a public hospital in South America.  Healthcare is free in this hospital so there are so many people with so many problems.  But Nelida is a great example to me.  I can’t imagine the pain she is experiencing but she always has a big smile on her face.
·       Hermana Medina knitted me a scarf.  Love her!
·       We found a new neighborhood in our area that is “more humble”.  We’ve only visited families there a couple of times but I see so much potential in the gospel changing their life.  I admire the faith they have in the gospel and our Savior, Jesus Christ.
·       We had a family home evening with Mateo and his family this week which was so fun.  Maria, Mateo’s mom, prepared a lesson, activity and comida of course.  Maria demonstrates true desires to be the best mother, spouse and disciple of Jesus Christ.  I am learning so much from all the people I interact with, whether they are members or not, and I love it!
·       Not gonna lie – we have had a rough couple of weeks with the cold.  No one wants to let us in.  Hermana Norman and I try to have a positive attitude but missionary work is hard and sometimes discouraging.  However, I read a talk by Dieter F. Uchtdorf this week about gratitude that really helped change my perspective.  He said that choosing to develop a spirit of gratitude will bring us true joy and happiness and I couldn’t agree more.  We can be happy in our circumstances and, with faith, look past our present day challenges.
·       Happy Father’s Day to all the dad’s out there.  Yesterday Hermana Norman and I thought about our dads and how awesome they are.  I am so grateful that I get my dad for eternity.  But not spending Father’s Day with my dad was a little rough.  However, I have learned a lot about the characteristics of our Heavenly Father.  He loves us so much that He sent His Son, Jesus Christ as a perfect example and our only way to salvation.  I love learning about our Savior and the infinite love He has for us. 

I really love this scripture in 3 Nephi 17:21 when Jesus came to the Americas:
“And when He had said these words, he wept, and the multitude bare record of it, and He took their little children, one by one, and blessed them, and prayed unto the Father for them.”

One by one.  One by one He prayed for us, comforted us and strengthened us.  It may be true that man is nothing in comparison to the greatness if the universe.  At times we may even feel insignificant, invisible, alone or forgotten.  But always remember – you matter to Him!!  Our Heavenly Father desires our eternal happiness and it is His entire focus to help us reach it.  I know that we are all children and we have an Eternal Heavenly Father that loves us.

Have a great week!

♥ Hermana Mannewitz




Beautiful sunset behind the American store

cool brick wall = photo shoot

Passed this cool horse on the walk to church

crazy kids playing in the tree

RAN to the store this morning.  That's right.  Running in our cool fanny packs.

No comments:

Post a Comment