Tuesday, July 18, 2017

It's all fun and games until you are showering in the dark

July 17, 2017

We all have the gift of agency, but showering in the dark was not my choice.  Remember the other week when I said we haven’t paid our bills since January?  Yeah, well they finally cut the power on us.  Anyways, this email is going to me mumbled jumbled because so many things happened.  Get pumped.  Here is one week in the life of Hermana Mannewitz.

·       So on Tuesday morning, we were doing the norm – exercising, eat breakfast, showering and getting ready for the day – when suddenly we lost power.  I was in the shower when the power went out but I tried to stay calm.  So I didn’t scream.  I safely got myself in a towel.  We were trying to figure out what happened but we had no idea.  So we finished getting ready in the dark, planning in the dark, all things missionary in the dark.  We finally decided to call the mission finance elder and he told us they lost our bills so they couldn’t pay them.  How cool J.  So we ate ice cream for breakfast (because it was gonna melt of course) and then left to work hoping we would have power that night.  Well, we didn’t so we continued our routine in the dark and without music.  Luckily, the following afternoon we finally got our power back!
·       My arm did this really cool thing this week and was numb for about 4 days.  Hermana Norman insisted that we go to the doctor but I really didn’t want to go to a crazy doctor in Argentina so I said no way!  But no worries – I have sufficient feeling in my arm now!
·       “Manuel, do you want to follow Jesus Christ?”   “Ummm, idk.”  “You aren’t sure if you want to follow Jesus Christ?  Who do you want to follow???”
·       (Ward council – end of meeting)  “Alright, how are we gonna leave this meeting?”  (random member) “With hunger!”
·       This week during weekly planning, the Hermana leaders came to verify our planning.  It was supposed to be a surprise, but Hermana Norman saw in their planner that they were coming so we were on our best behavior and they told us that we planned perfectly!  We are perfect!!  And humble too…
·       We met our new mission president!!  President and Hermana Orquera are super great.  They bring a new enthusiasm for the work and are truly focused on our purpose as a missionary – BAPTIZE!  Now we have a mission motto – “AMB” – actitud mental bautizadora (baptizing mental attitude).   But really, I already love President and Hermana Orquera and their 6 year-old son Jaimpe (?).  I know that President Orquera has been called by a prophet of God to direct the work here in Salta.  We are going to see lots of miracles as we work together.
·       This week Herman Norman and I got to watch “17 Miracles”.  I have seen the movie but have a new appreciation for the pioneers – how their journey was not easy but they put their trust in our Savior Jesus Christ and pressed forward.  At one point in the movie, an elderly woman said that whenever she feels discouraged and wants to quit, she offers a prayer of gratitude for all the miracles they have witnessed instead.  That was just what I needed!  Sometimes the mission is really hard.  I never want to quit, but it does get discouraging.  However, I love her perspective. In these times, I need to offer a prayer of gratitude – thanking my Heavenly Father for all the many blessings I have.
·       Alright prayer warriors – we need some prayers.  Our super awesome investigator, Maria Emilia is strengthening her testimony and preparing for baptism which means Satan is going to tempt her extra hard.  Pray for her strength!!
·       Last p-day we went to this breakfast buffet and Hermana Norman and I were the first ones there so we hurried and ate a plate of food, then hid it before our district showed up.  When our district showed up we were super casually reading our scriptures and drinking hot chocolate.  Haha. They have no idea.
·       Hermana Norman talking to a single, 24 year old boy:  “Is it hard to find someone to marry in Salta?”

If my personal study had a name it would be called “Lost in Mosiah 2” There are too many blessings that I read the chapter many times to find all the things I can improve.  But the last verse really stuck out to me:
Mosiah 2:41  “And moreover, I would desire that ye should consider on the blessed and happy state of those that keep the commandments of God.  For behold, they are blessed in all things, both temporal and spiritual; and if they hold out faithful to the end they are received into heaven, that thereby they may dwell with God in a state of never-ending happiness.  O remember that these things are true; for the Lord God hath spoken it.”
Three things really stuck out to me in this one verse.  1) As we obey the commandments, we will be blessed both temporally and spiritually.  I know this is true because I have seen it bless my life and the lives of the people here in Argentina.  2) We have to be faithful to the end!  I think that is one of the most difficult parts.  3) Enter into a state of never-ending happiness!  WOW!  I can’t even imagine what a state of never-ending happiness is but I think I am getting a little taste of it here in the mission!  I know this to be true – that as we are obedient and try our best, Heavenly Father will cover the rest!

Bueno, can’t believe this is my last week of training with Hermana Norman.  We set goals to sing more, eat more empanadas, work so hard, and enjoy our last week together!
Hoy es el dia!
Con amor,

Hermana Mannewitz



Our ice cream was gonna melt so we ate it for breakfast!
no power....still smiling
Hermana Castro-Orosco
The biggest avocado I've ever seen in my life
The most famous cookies here - sugar cookies with dulce de leche and coconut
Tacos with Familia Caceres
Hermana Urena is heading home
Hermana Norman and I
wife us.  we made whipped cream
bumper cars!!!
pure joy!


No comments:

Post a Comment